Saturday, November 2, 2013

Week Ten

This week I continue to sort the Dorr Felt collection. I emptied a couple more boxes - these ones packed to the point they don't close! As I was sorting into the various folders I couldn't get over the creativity on one hand and the similarity to our own time on the other. Here are a  couple examples...




"The First Airplane Model That Had Feathered Wings, Shown In England"! There are several examples of inventors trying to create more birdlike planes. Here is a close-up of the plane picture


 
 
Another favorite for the future of flying is ships - Literally!
 
 
 
 
Not all of their ideas were so outlandish though. One article is could be a headline in todays news - in fact, I'm pretty sure I recently heard about this on the news!
 
 
Who doesn't want to have a party on a plane with a bunch of electronics? I don't think many people realize that television on airplanes was thought of in the 1920's - that's one of the reasons I love being in the Loyola University Archives. Never again will I look at contemporary and historical times in the same way!
 
Another area I find to be interesting is the pilots themselves. Lindbergh was compared to everyone!
Even Amelia Earhart....
 
 
And another interesting thing about Amelia - she came from Chicago. You would think the city would advertise the fact more - possibly even have an Amelia Earhart day...we could all have a day off to fly airplanes???
 
 
 
I am still enjoying every moment in the Loyola University Archives. Not only do I find out interesting historical facts (and science fiction), but I am gaining real world experience - and loving it! There is nothing better than looking forward to going to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment