Friday, November 15, 2013

Week Twelve

This week I continued the process of sorting the sources into the proper folders. I completed twenty-six of the containers, leaving just one box to finish! I am sharing my space with another worker and between the two of us the space is getting very crowded!




The five filing boxes are mine while the rest is not. I have one more box on the other side. I was so excited to be down to the last box that I took a picture of that as well.


 
 
   As always, there are many interesting things to be found in the boxes. This week its a poem by Rudyard Kipling that was published in the newspaper.
 
 
                                                                                                                                                                
                     I love the planes flying around the poem! Here is a close-up of the beginning of the poem -
 
 

As you see from the introduction to the poem plane races were a big deal in the 1920's. Along with the races the collection includes several flyers, both male and female. Not only were the flyers important, but the planes they were flying as well. During the period covered by the collection there were many types of planes created. My favorite is the dirigible.


 
 
I copied this picture from online images. The Graf Zeppelin traveled all over the world, transported people, delivered airmail, and created many records. It is amazing to see how massive these were. The dirigibles were also used for scientific purposes in places such as the Arctic.
 
This has been another great week at the Loyola University Archives. I am not only learning about the career and responsibilities that go with it, but also an appreciation for the 1920's and the incredible growth of aviation that occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment