Friday, October 25, 2013

Week Nine

 
 
 
 
This has been another great week at the Loyola University Archives! I find myself looking forward to coming in, but hating to leave! I have been continuing to go through the original boxes and sort the information into the appropriate files. I have grown from one box to four boxes! I have finished two-thirds of boxes (I just completed box eighteen out of twenty-seven). It amazes me how far I have progressed on this collection - especially when I look back at some of my old pictures. Here are a couple of images of my changing work desk --
        
 
 



This was my work area in the beginning stages of processing the Dorr Felt Collection. These were the original containers, stuffed to the brim with information to sort through. - The white towel on the table is to clean your hands periodically as they become black from the newspaper ink.

 
 
                                             
This is my work area now - you can see the original box on the left and the new files being created to the right. The three little boxes are plastic paper clips. There are many papers that are held together by metal pins or metal paper clips - an archivist's enemy! (Metal can rust) As I separate I remove the offending objects and replace them with plastic paper clips. This way the papers Dorr Felt intended to stay together do - yet with no chance of causing any damage to the sources. You can also see that there are two sizes of folders (acid free) which I use to sort the sources. The long white and yellow strips on the side of the box are used as dividers while filing to create a more efficient system.
                                                
 

 Here is a close up of the filing boxes. You can see that the dividers can be close together or far apart. The ones that are far apart have multiple files of sources. The box on the left contains folders such as parachuting, accidents and deaths, personal correspondence, advertising.... The middle container is some of the flyers - such as Lindbergh, Brock,Schlee, Acoste, Coste, Le Brix, Maitland, and many, many more. Most of the flyers flew in groups. The cox on the right contains more of the flyers, Chicago, and military and pre-war.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment