Friday, October 4, 2013

Week Six

     This week flew by! I have been steadily working through the boxes, getting each source where it needs to go. The files are quickly filling up with the multitudes of information. As the files fill up I am creating new files that will be subcategories. I continue to be amazed by different things I find (or re-find) throughout the collection. Some of my favorites have been a woman who was cured from being "slow" by flying, one newspaper published before and after pictures - this was definitely a moment that could only take place in the 1920's. There is a file growing on Ford - they had an airline and also manufactured airplanes. Yet the most interesting part is probably the level of competition among the nations to achieve the newest record. Even this competition did not stop them from helping each other. Every time pilots went missing, no matter what country they were from, all the other pilots would fly out to search. Sometimes countries who had ships nearby, when a plane was feared to have gone down in the ocean, would go out to the area and help in the searches.
     Another area of competition was the dirigibles - humungous blimps that carried both passengers and freight. These were also used by the military to explore the Arctic. In the newspapers there are images of the glaciers and I wonder if they are still there or if they have already melted.
     Every week I find myself enjoying this field more and more. The longer I am doing the work, the more efficient I am getting. I no longer just respect the field, but also find myself enjoying multiple aspects of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment