Saturday, September 28, 2013

Week Five



     Every time I walk towards the Loyola University Archives, located in the Cudahy Library, I find myself more excited. I worked diligently for the first four weeks to survey all of the information in the collection, now comes the fun part. It is time to begin sorting all of the information into their proper places. I will separate all of the sources into files based upon commonalities, such as plane races, balloons, dirigibles, Lindbergh, and many more topics. This process will be done twice, with twenty-seven boxes and ten years of information to go through, it will need to be refined.
     So far, I have been able to create the appropriate files for the information to be separated by, and have finished with the first two boxes. I am looking forward to my next week - I love organizing! I am a firm believer that everything has a place and as long as you know where that is your life will remain organized. At the Loyola University Archives there is an added benefit of organizing history for researchers and future generations to learn about. Since the Archivists maintain an organized history, people are able to learn more in a chaotic free environment, enabling a greater understanding and perception of the various topics.
     With every week I am here, I find myself appreciating the efforts and skills of Archivists more. This job is not just a science, but an art. Individuals working in Archives need a certain finesse, as well as, creativity and knowledge. I am constantly encountering new skills that are required in the field and adding them to my mental files along with the life skills I have already gained.

No comments:

Post a Comment