Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week Seven

     This week I continued to file the sources into their appropriate categories. I completed several more boxes and am continually creating more subcategories for the categories. While this process is lengthy I am enjoying all of it. As the weeks go on I find myself enjoying the internship more and more.
     I was also able to help with another aspect of the archivist position this week. The nursing students are having a ceremony and requested some of the sources in the Loyola University Archives to be on presentation. I helped with the process of finding interesting areas to showcase for the display. I also learned how to set up pictures on display.
     While these items are on display an archivist must be present. The process involves finding out what is needed for the display, the preparation of the display, and preparing to deliver everything to the event. Once there, the archivist must set up, stay for the duration of the event, take down the display, and bring everything back to the Loyola University Archives.
     It was fun to learn another area involved in the world of archiving. Learning the essentials of the field is exciting and constantly piques my interest. The role of the archivist is important - and involves much more than just learning  how to categorize, organize, and preserve history for future researchers and generations to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment